Tag in the Blogosphere
My friend Todd Sattersten, who I thank for pushing me to do more writing—and for appreciating the writing I do—has tagged me in a blog game asking people to share five things that most people don’t know about them. Here goes:
1) My first job was taking care of 300 guinea pigs for a neighbor down the street in seventh grade.
2) I was the first person ever to sell Yankees Suck t-shirts. If you need proof look no further than the photo on my high school yearbook page.
3) Not a shining moment but….several years ago I discovered that the person right behind me in a line at a coffee shop was Yo-Yo Ma and immediately, without thinking (ya think?) did a full Wayne and Garth “Not Worthy” to him. I hope that I am the only person who has done so. I fear that I am the only person who has done so.
4) My older brother died of AIDS on March 20 1992 and I still think about him constantly. I harbor a secret dream of one day winning an Oscar for screenwriting and using my time on stage simply honoring him.
5) Since the age of seven I’ve lived with one strong superstition of not touching the first step on any stairway up or down. I only break this rule for safety reasons (like if I’m carrying a child, or, and please don’t ask, my dog.)
Okay. In turn, I call out to...
Ellen Lamb is one of my best friends in the world. I bring her into this game by asking “Would you play tag?” for her excellent blog.
Kevin Carroll is a brand-new friend I met at the 800CEOREAD Author Pow-wow. An amazing guy whose thoughts I’d love to read.
Bill Taylor, author of Mavericks at Work and co-founder of Fast Company, is a friend and former colleague of mine. I’m guessing that the Giants and the Boss may be named.
Robin Wolaner is a force of nature—a great writer, business person, and, what, awesomely great person. It’s so nice when the world of work intersects your life with people like this!
Mark Graban writes one of my favorite blogs, the lean manufacturing blog. Love to hear what he says!
Posted by tom at December 18, 2006 10:01 AM
I'm not really blogging these days, working on my startup, so will post here.
1. My first job was at Penthouse Magazine and I read Sisterhood is Powerful while being their receptionist.
2. I have the same birthday as the woman who co-founded Parenting Magazine with me, and as Willie Mays -- but I was too tongue-tied when I met Willie Mays to wish him a happy birthday (it was the next week).
3. I wrote a book called Naked in the Boardroom: A CEO Bares Her Secrets So You Can Transform Your Career, and most people don't know that.
4. The book has been translated into four languages, and since I can't read them I can't tell if they resemble what I wrote...I suspect not, since the Japanese one is called "Millionairess" (although it is spelled Milliionaise on the spine).
5. I cannot carry a tune, dance, play sports well, do crafts....my daughter asked me if I could make ANYTHING and I said "money."